Yes, I’m voting with my passport, escaping from the US, broadening my perspective overseas. Call it what you like but I’m heading south. Way south. I’m not talking Florida or Texas; I’m talking Belize, Nicaragua, Panama or even Argentina or Chile. Yup I’m off to Latin America.
I’m not the only one. Others have reasons to leave the US. In fact I’d say there’s a bit of a movement going on. A loose group of people who are fed up with what is going on back home. Fed up with the kind of country the US is turning into. Fed up with BIG Government. Fed up with job insecurities. Fed up with Wall Street and the growing inequality between rich and poor. Fed up with the establishment and all the zombie industries that have been created. Fed up with rising living costs. And yes, fed up with taxes.
OK so there are clearly some push factors at play here. But what about the attractions of moving abroad. The draw of overseas living. The pull factors if you like?
Well there are many of these too.
- It’s much, much cheaper to live in Latin America than back home.
- Real estate is cheaper too. Maybe some of us living in the 99% will be able to afford an ocean view!
- In many countries you are not taxed on your world income.
- In fact residents retirees get a whole bunch of tax breaks in some locations.
- The weather is warm.
- Internet connectivity is pretty much everywhere.
- Latin America has the same hemisphere as good ol’ USA. So no time difference for those phone calls back home.
- There are some beautiful spots to discover.
- The Latin culture is friendly.
- I’ll be able to take up new hobbies; like surfing.
- I’m keen to learn another language. (And at my old age, the only way I’ll be able to get that done is via total immersion)
Yes for me it all adds up nicely.